Summer Newsletter 2018
Summer Newsletter 2018
- New staff – we are very excited about having 2 new nurses, Jas & Jo, starting with us full-time in December! We are also pleased to announce that our student nurse over the past two years Bethany will not be a student for much longer and has been offered a full-time position with us as a qualified nurse!
- Zoetis have developed a new product called Cytopoint that offers 4-8 weeks of relief from the signs of atopic dermatitis in dogs from a single injection. Speak to one of our vets at your next consultation to see if Cytopoint is right for your dog.
- Bravecto is now available in a 6-monthly spot-on flea & tick treatment for dogs. It is designed to absorb slowly by forming a deposit under the skin.
- Hills Science Diet has launched a new senior food Youthful Vitality for adult cats & dogs 7+. This new formula protects against the signs of aging for vitality & brain support, energy & interacting and a luxurious coat.
- Hills Prescription Diet has a new combination food called K/D + Mobility for dogs that suffer from both kidney and joint conditions.
- Royal Canin has developed a food called Calm which has hydrolyzed milk protein and amino acids involved in balancing serotonin in the body. It’s formulated to support cats & dogs with digestive, skin & urinary sensitivities due to socially & environmentally stressful conditions.
Fleas love the warmer months so make sure you treat your pets regularly!
Heatstroke: never leave your pets inside the car on a hot day! Animals can’t regulate their body temperature like us, and it only takes a few minutes for this to become a life-threatening condition. Make sure your pets have access to water and shade at all times.
Pets can get sunburned too! Those with light-coloured fur or skin on their ears and nose are particularly susceptible to skin cancer and we recommend a pet sunscreen and keeping them out of the sun.
As tempting as it is to share Christmas dinner and treats with our pets, it can be very dangerous for them.
- Pancreatitis is the inflammation of the pancreas due to foods too rich and high in fat being fed. It can be very painful for your pet and requires intensive care to treat.
- Bones can be very hazardous as they can easily splinter as your dog chews on them, and become stuck in the throat or intestines, causing a perforation or blockage.
- Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is extremely toxic to our pets. Cakes and sweets can also cause serious medical issues if ingested.
- Grapes and raisins contain a toxin that can cause sudden onset kidney failure.
Flystrike, seen mostly with rabbits and guinea pigs, is a common problem in warm weather and occurs when flies lay their eggs on or around the animal’s rear. The flies are attracted to damp fur, urine and faeces so this can be avoided by cleaning hutches regularly, making a habit of checking your pet’s rear and coming in for a hygiene clip if necessary.
Promos & Specials!
Purchase any BRAVECTO flea treatment and you’ll automatically go in the draw to win 1 of 3 food hampers & a free BRAVECTO! One hamper will be drawn a week for the first three weeks of December.
Any cat or dog vaccinated from now until the end of December can enter a draw to win a year’s supply worth of BRAVECTO! Entry forms at the front desk.
VACCINATION AMNESTY: If your cat or dog is OVERDUE and has to restart their vaccination course we’re offering the second booster vaccine FREE from now until the end of December. If you think your pet is overdue please call us to book an appointment.
Festive FACEBOOK Competition! Share a photo of your pet embracing the festive spirit to our Facebook page and you will enter the draw to win a 1 year supply of BRAVECTO! The lucky winner will be drawn in December.
Merial giveaway: buy a pack of Frontline, Nexgard or three packs of Broadline until the end of December and go in the draw to win a jet ski, spa pool or outdoor furniture!
Christmas & New Year Hours:
CLOSED: Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day & January 2nd
All other hours as normal
North Shore After Hours Vet (Glenfield): 09 443 5640
Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year – from all of us at Whangaparaoa Vets!